For the 2023-24 academic year, the Harvard-Yenching Institute plans to select a few outstanding young fellowship recipients (including doctoral students and faculty who have completed their doctorate within the past 7 years) in the field of Indian Studies to come to the HYI for a one-year research stay. We invite you to nominate two candidates for this program. If a selected candidate is a doctoral candidate, the HYI will offer a fellowship for the student to come as a visiting fellow affiliated with Harvard’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and the Harvard-Yenching Institute. If a chosen candidate is a young faculty member with a doctorate, we will offer a grant for the faculty member to come as a visiting scholar. The study and research of a candidate should be related to Indian Studies in a discipline in the humanities or social sciences. There is no specific age limit, but we are seeking scholars in an early stage of their career development. We welcome nominations in all social science and humanities areas of Indian studies with an emphasis on academic (not applied or policy oriented) research.
After an initial review of the application dossiers, we will select approximately half of the candidates for interviews this winter for further consideration. We hope to select two to three outstanding young scholars for a research stay at the Harvard-Yenching Institute during the 2023-24 academic year.
Candidates who are doctoral students must be citizens of an Asian country, but there is no citizenship restriction for candidates who are junior faculty; candidates who are faculty members should have received their doctorate in the past 7 years. Applications for nomination to the program should be submitted to the international office and affiliated department of the applicants’ home university.
Terms and Conditions
A selected junior faculty member will be offered a visiting scholarship, and a selected doctoral candidate a visiting fellowship.
The following provides more detailed information on the fellowship coverage:
Visiting Scholar for Indian Studies in China Program
Visiting Fellow for Indian Studies in China Program
• Round trip economy class airfare;
• A stipend of approximately US $5,000 per month for the period of residence in Cambridge, Massachusetts (for 10 months); • Health Insurance;
• Funding (up to $5,000) for participating in academic conferences/research trips in North America, and hiring an editor or a research assistant.
• Round trip economy class airfare;
• Payment of the Harvard University Visiting Fellows fees including health insurance coverage;
• A stipend adequate for a single fellow for 10 months (for 2022-23, the monthly stipend is approximately $3,100.00);
• Funding (up to $5,000) for participating in academic conferences/research trips in North America, and hiring an editor or an English language assistant.
Nominated candidates should apply through the HYI online application portal. In addition, an applicant should provide three letters of recommendation. Application instructions are included in the attachment [Indian Studies Program About the online application system.PDF]. Please note: you should feel free to use the attached application form for conducting the internal nomination process within your institution, but official applications must be submitted online.
有意向申请的同学，请将上述通知要求的所有材料（包括CV, Research Plan, Recommendation Letters）及附件中的申请表(电子版)于2022年8月31日前邮件提交至chengsisi@pku.edu.cn，通过校内遴选后，我们将通知入选同学进行网申。如有疑问可咨询国际合作部 成老师 62756326。